Position Description: Forest Carbon Intern
Location: Morgantown, WV
Position Type: Paid Internship
Reports To: Technical Director, Forest Carbon Analyst
Green Assets is currently in search of a highly motivated individual to join our team in our Morgantown, WV office as a Forest Carbon Intern. Founded in 2010, Green Assets, Inc. is a leading forest carbon offset development firm. Green Assets provides informed, turn-key project development services to clientele, allowing for profitable conservation activities that help to maintain natural habitats and ecosystems. We are seeking to fill a part-time internship position that will focus on monitoring ongoing forest management activities and assisting with all aspects of forest carbon offset project implementation. The Forest Carbon Intern will work up to 20 hours per week, depending on workload. The selected candidate will work directly with the Technical Director and Forest Carbon Analyst.
- Organizes forest management data;
- Utilizes spreadsheets, databases, and other tools for forest monitoring;
- Computes volume, biomass, carbon stocking levels, and other attributes from forest inventory and harvest data;
- Performs dendrochronological analyses supporting growth and yield modeling and age class assessments;
- Assists in net Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reductions quantification/modeling, financial analyses, and carbon accounting for client-held forest carbon offset projects;
- Provides effective Geographic Information System (GIS), Spatial Analyses, and Global Positioning System (GPS) support to team members;
- Performs remote sensing/aerial photography interpretation to assess detailed forest management and other land use information;
- Works closely with team members to ensure accurate reporting of carbon stocks and net GHG emissions reduction for projects on client lands;
- Supports other team members with projects, workflow process improvements, office logistical support, business development events, and other duties as assigned;
- Working towards a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Forest Resources Management, Forestry, or associated field (analytical focus preferred);
- Knowledge of forest biometrics, statistics, growth and yield models (FVS and similar), and data management/processing;
- Demonstrated experience using spatial analysis technologies (i.e., ArcMap or other web-based GIS applications);
- Experience using GPS, and integrating field-acquired data into ArcMap for project documentation and processing;
- Effective document preparation, presentation, and communication skills are required;
- Experience with MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint is required;
- Detailed, organized, and thorough in completing work tasks;
- Desire and ability to work cohesively as part of a team of experts
If you are seeking one of the most interesting, challenging, and rewarding forestry related opportunities available, please send a letter of interest and resume in contact form.
Green Assets is an Equal Opportunity Employer.